I’ve not had much down time this week away from Luca that I could spend in front of the computer, hence the lack of posts. Right now we are in the car (Mario is driving), so I can write my weekly recap.
- Saw the paediatrician on Monday for his 6 week appointment – all ticks of approval. It looks like he’s gaining between 200-300g a week, well above the required 150g. Not long and he’s going to have some substantial fat rolls! In a good way of course.
- I’m focused on trying to get him some quality naps during the day. I’ve been working on recognising his sleep cues, which I think I’m getting better at. Now just to get better at actually settling him to sleep!
- Thanks to some recommendations from friends I’m going to start trying white noise apps. The most success we’ve had getting him to sleep was when I held him while vacuuming, or when Mario was playing some music. Based on that it looks like noise is his friend, instead of a quiet room. The paediatrician said this week should be his worst week for sleep though, so hopefully it’s all up from here!
- The little guy had his needles on Tuesday for his 6 weeks vaccination. He cried, but settled and fed straight away. The rest of the day he was quite drowsy, but back to normal by that evening. Champion!
- He started smiling this week!! And I managed to catch it on camera after a not-so-great night
View this post on Instagram
Last night was hard. Luca slept the usual amount of time but getting him down into his bassinet was difficult. He would wake and cry immediately. At one point I was so frustrated I woke hubby and asked him to do it. I was tired, hormonal and close to tears. From that point on whenever Luca woke to feed, I would feed him and hubby would put him down. At 4.30 I tried to put him down myself again, failed and asked the hubby. I fell asleep, and had no idea that hubby took Luca out into the living room to sleep. Hubby stayed awake holding him so that I could get some uninterrupted sleep, sacrificing his own at the same time. I felt horrible when I woke up, but grateful at the same time. He has to work today so it’s going to be a long day for him. But today….the smiles like this make the lack of sleep seem irrelevant. Luca’s finally cracking the smiles regularly, and every time it melts the heart of his father and I. Lack of sleep what now? I’ve forgotten already. #babiesofinstagram #lucamichaelangelo #6weeksold #babies #parenting #mumlife
- I went to my work Christmas party Friday afternoon – 3 hours away from the little man. It was exciting to see everyone, and Mario did great on his own with the little guy (and a substantial supply of expressed breast milk). Part of me misses being at work, it was so good to catch up.
- Right now we are in the car to Brisbane – L’s first long car drive. Our family is having an early Christmas gathering as a substantial portion of them will be overseas on the actual day. We were meant to be going as well, but scrapped that plan when I fell pregnant. So far L is going well. We put him in the car milk drunk, he woke up 10mins later but the vibration sent him to sleep again. Here’s hoping for a smooth trip the rest of the way – an hour left to go!
I hope everyone has had a great week!