Oh hey world! It’s been a while, hasn’t it. I’ve been living a crazy busy life again, and if there’s something I’ve learned since having kids is that there’s never time for everything. You’re forever playing the juggling game and figuring out which one you can get away with not giving any attention to and hope you don’t drop anything.
It turns out I’m not great at juggling and I’ve been dropping balls (ha – that sounds rude).
There’s so much that I want to write about in detail, but it’s a rare night that I have the time to sit down and blog. I don’t think I’ll get time to write in detail, so here’s a speedy recap of everything going on in my life.
*edit* So I started writing and this turned into a massive post; I’ve kept it short and will write another one ASAP since we’ve suddenly got a free weekend!
In this update:
- Injury woes
- Joining a Harry Potter-themed running club
I’ve been writing about my training plans for the upcoming half marathon in August (my first ever half). Things had been progressing well, and then the injuries I had been expecting came on.
Let’s be honest – it’s my fault. I’m terrible at stretching, warm ups and cool downs. I don’t foam roll out my muscles enough. I’ve pushed myself a bit hard and my body is telling me it’s enough.
As of right now I have:
- Achilles tendonitis (my left ankle and the ligament running down the back is super tight)
- A calf strain on my right calf
- A super sore right knee – my bad one that I had a knee reconstruction on (it’ll be 10 years in December!)
I had no idea how I did the knee, but finally realised on Wednesday I had been walking around in the sand, and I was probably twisting my leg. My knee complains if I’m on unstable ground at the best of times. It hurts on the inside, where I had damaged the cartilage there when I did my knee. So I dare say it’s just a bit of bruising and complaint from the cartilage again. For the first time in a long time I’ve given myself the night off and I’ve put my legs up.
A bit of rehab, icing, recovery and taking it easy and I should be on the go again soon enough.
Potterhead Running Club (PHRC)
I joined a running club! I was already a member of the Running Mum’s Australia facebook group when someone mentioned about PHRC. I decided to take a look.
I enjoy the Harry Potter books and movies, but I wouldn’t say I was obsessed. I like the idea of magic existing, and I think that’s what drew me to them in the first place. When I had a look at the running club I was astonished at what I found.
You guys, even if you don’t like the books or the movie, this running club is AMAZING!
If I have to do something for myself, like following a training plan on my own, it takes a bit for me to be motivated. If I have to do something for a team where I have the potential to let someone down, I will do everything I can to avoid that happening. That’s where the beauty of this club kicks in.
Here’s the deal:
- In the beginning you’re “sorted” into one of the 4 Hogwarts houses – Gryffindor, Slytherin, Hufflepuff, or my house, Ravenclaw
- There are various facebook groups you join:
- The Grand Hall (all members of the running club)
- Your house’s “Common Room” (members only for that house)
- Any others that may have been created as a result e.g. I’m part of a group that’s a strategic group to find ways to motivate everyone